Problem sending mails using bts and SMTP-AUTH

Daniel Leidert daniel.leidert at wgdd.de
Sun Oct 2 16:04:29 UTC 2016

Hi,

I've setup the MTA on my laptop for local mail delivery only. So to
send mails, programs have to use (and support) SMTP-AUTH and TLS to
communicate over my mail-server (self-signed certificate).

For reportbug I've set the smtp* values in .reportbugrc and this works
just fine:

> smtphost mail.wgdd.de:587
> smtpuser "****"
> smtppasswd "****"
> smtptls

Now I tried to do the same for bts by using the SMTP* variables in
.devscripts and this fails. All I get on the command line is:

bts: failed to authenticate to mail.wgdd.de:587
()

No further information. On the other side all I see is this:

> Oct  2 16:30:37 mail postfix/smtpd[23691]: connect from ....
> Oct  2 16:30:37 mail postfix/smtpd[23691]: lost connection after EHLO from ....
> Oct  2 16:30:37 mail postfix/smtpd[23691]: disconnect from ....

After reading the source code of bts I wonder if my setup is not
supported at all. Any ideas besides re-configuring the local MTA to act
as an smarthost?

Please keep me in CC as I'm not subscribed to the list. TIA

Regards, Daniel