[Dict-common-dev] Re: FYI: New spell packages

Rafael Laboissiere Rafael Laboissiere <laboissiere@mpipf-muenchen.mpg.de>
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:55:52 +0200

[ N.B. : I am Cc:ing this reply to the dict-common-dev mailing list.  I am
  quoting your msg and I hope that you will not mind.]

* Alastair McKinstry <mckinstry@computer.org> [2002-06-21 10:39]:

> I am the upstream maintainer of three ispell packages:
> 	spell-ga (Irish / "Gaelic" ), currently 0.9.3
> 	spell-gd (Scots Gaelic / "Gaidhglig" ) currently 0.3
> 	spell-gv (Manx Gaelic / "Gaelg" ) currently 0.3
>
> These packages are present in Mandrake; I am a debian New Maintainer
> and have recently packaged spell-ga for Debian (its in Sid). I am
> currently packaging spell-gd, spell-gv for Sid.
>
> The source package "spell-ga" produces the ispell package ispell-ga.
> I intend to make it conform to Debian standards, renaming ispell-ga to
> iirish-1.0, and have spell-ga also produce wirish-1.0. Also,
> spell-gd will give the binary packages igaelic-0.5 and wgaelic-0.5,
> spell-gv giving imanx-0.5 and wmanx-0.5.
>
> These packages will conform to the new policy.

Great.  Since the new Policy is still under discussion, and the transition
phase did not start yet, you should not upload your packages to unstable.
For that, we have a staging area at SourceForge.  If you wish, we can add
you to the list of developers of the dict-common project, such that you can
upload your package there.  Just tell us your SF user name.

> (The Mandrake RPM names for the packages make it possible to
> check for the existence of a spell check package for a given language
> using the template "spell-$langcode". I believe that we should name the
> debian ispell packages this way, so they can be autoinstalled easily
> later, but thats a debate for another day ?).

This is a debatable issue, for sure.  However, the Debian people tend to be
quite conservative and such a change will face a quite strong opposition, I
guess.  I fully understand your point, but if the only benefit is template
searching, that is too few to have the change adopted.

--
Rafael