[Dict-common-dev] pspell, pspell-ispell, aspell and dictionaries-common

Agustín Martín Domingo agmartin@aq.upm.es
Thu, 06 Jun 2002 14:10:33 +0200

Domenico Andreoli wrote:

  > pspell-ispell 0.12-6 hasn't make-ispell-pwli anymore. indeed it is
  > completely broken, since no ispell dictionaries know that a pwli file
  > is required.

So old pwli are no longer removed. That is good, although may leave some
files behind. Otherwise pwli files provided by the ispell dicts and not
in the make-ispell-pwli file would have been removed each time
pspell-ispell is installed.

  >>files is under the /var hierarchy, but may be I am wrong. Note that
  >>this would not be a problem in case of (c).
  >>

  > indeed :)
  >

  >>My personal preference is somewhat towards (c), since I find it simpler,
  >>but I would like to know other points of view.
  >>

  > seconded. this would suffices for the needs of pspell-ispell.

Something like this may fit (partially borrowed from pspell-ispell README):

The pspell-ispell pwli file for ispell dictionaries:

All ispell dictionary packages must provide the corresponding
pspell-ispell pwli file for each supplied ispell dictionary. That pwli
file must be installed at /usr/share/pspell and named as

where <language> is the two letter language code, <spelling> is the
particular spelling when the language has multiple spellings in
different parts of the world such as English and <jargon> is any extra
informations to distinguish the hash from other ones with the same
language and spelling. <language> is always required while <spelling>
and <jargon> not.

Each pwli file contains exactly one line which contains the
full path of the main ispell hash, white space, then the charset, e.g.
iso8859-1, koi8-r.

Agustin Martin Domingo, Dpto. de Fisica, ETS Arquitectura Madrid,
(U. Politecnica de Madrid)  tel: +34 91-336-6536, Fax: +34 91-336-6554,
email:agmartin@aq.upm.es, http://corbu.aq.upm.es/~agmartin/welcome.html