[Dict-common-dev] Experimental support for regions-to-spelling.map

Domenico Andreoli cavok@filibusta.crema.unimi.it
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 19:21:05 +0200

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 10:46:29AM +0200, Agust?n Mart?n Domingo wrote:
> Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
..

> >I decided to let the individual IDWP have total control on the contents of
> >regions-to-spelling.map.  IMO, it is much better so, because it would be a
> >burden to either the libpspell or the dictionaries-common maintainers to
> >keep
> >up with changes in locale definitions and pwli file names.
> >

> Wonderful. Thanks for doing that.

yes, wonderful. pspell has a bug for this file. #144884.

> I see one important problem about that. I think that file is or can also
> be used by aspell dictionaries, so we are taking power on something not
> currently covered by the policy. However that is a step towards the
> future if at sometime aspell gets integrated.

i agree

> In the meantime, if we do not want aspell packages to be affected, we
> must make sure that entries in diverted 'regions-to-spelling.map' are
> always merged and present in the autogenerated one. Also, we should not
> use different names for entries already there. This is still putting our
> feet out of the policy scope, but at least we are only adding things to
> the existing ones, not changing or removing previous definitions.

oh, nothing is more easy. i can release a libpspell without
regions-to-spelling.map. this file is provided by the upstream as is. i
only need to delete it from the package before the deb creation:)

> We should also notify this to the pspell maintainer. Domenico, has that
> package already been adopted?

no, i'm still in charge for it. i'll upload a new version soon.

> As a matter of fact, I think that the only affected packages are english
> dicts and portuguese dicts. Norwegian uses different language locales
> for bokmal and nynorsk (I have to change that in the norwegian dict,
> currently is wrong).

maybe also for spanish and french? i don't know.

> >Please, test the new scheme.  Comments, as usual, are welcome.  If my
> >changes are adopted, I would appreciate that a brave soul (Agust?n? :-)
> >make
> >the necessary changes to the Policy document.
> >

> I will do. First I would like to know what Domenico Andreoli thinks
> about this.

yesss.. please continue with this work :) you guys are doing a great job
even without the support i should provide you.

thanks
cavok

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://filibusta.crema.unimi.it/~cavok/gpgkey.asc
   ---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936  4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50