[Dict-common-dev] [announce] New OOo/myspell/spellcheck policy

Rene Engelhard rene@debian.org
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:36:24 +0200

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

Hi folks,

at the OpenOffice.org conference this April Chris Halls and me used
some free time to think about the packaging of Spellchecks again and
how to improve it.

We there outlined ideas for a new policy which since a few days are
included in the dictionaries-common package(s).

OpenOffice.org 1.1rc (openoffice.org and openoffice.org-dictionaries)
were uploaded to sid nnd entered it now and openoffice.org-dictionaries alr=
eady
contains some "new-style myspell-packages".

Alessandro, Paul: The new 'dictionaries' module in OpenOffice.org 1.1
                  (of which openoffice.rog-dictionaries is built)
		  does already contain en_GB respectively it_IT. So
		  no need to package them anymore. Sorry guys...

I am sorry for the long delay wrt announcing that but it didn't make
sense to announce it while 1.0.3-2 was the up to date version in
unstable ince the "new policy packages" don't work with openoffice.org
<=3D 1.0.3-2 and therefore should conflict with them anyhow...

As I already wrote, the new format is described in the
"Debian Spelling Dictionaries and Tools Policy" which can be found
on http://dict-common.alioth.debian.org and in the
dictionaries-common-dev package.

Please be aware that the policy says
"depend on dictionaries-common (>=3D 0.10)" yet, where it for compatibility
woody backport of OOo should be
"dictionaries-common (>=3D 0.10) | openoffice.org-updatedicts."

I am going to upload a new policy and dictionaries-common-* after I
tested an upgrade....

There is a template in the Debian OpenOffice.org CVS repository
you can check out[1] and helps you when you produce only one deb out
of the source (assuming you take the unzipped zip renamed as source
package). Someone of you asked some time ago why the template is
not anymore based on unzipping the zip file and then copying the
things around --  I don't know :P
It's just a matter of taste. You can do what you want
as long as you give the source package name a good one "no
openoffice.org-* please) and the binary deb contains the right things :)
This template is designed for creating _one_ myspell-* package from
one source package only containing a dict. If you have more myspell-*
packages to create or do want to package a hyphenation-* or
thesaurus-* too, you'll have to create your own structure or modify
the template appropriately. An example could be the
openoffice.org-dictionaries source package which can be found at
http://people.debian.org/~rene/openoffice.org/dicts/ or in the pool.

If you have packaged a dictionary and you need someone to sopnsor it
you can a mail Chris or me[2], write a posting to
debian-openoffice@lists.debian.org or poke us on
#debian-oo/irc.debian.org telling us what you have done and where we
can find the source package -- we'll check and upload the package(s)
to sid when they are OK.

So, have fun packaging myspell packages! :-)

Gr=FC=DFe/Regards,

Ren=E9

[1] CVSROOT=3D":pserver:anonymous@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-openoffice"
    export CVSROOT
    cvs login
    <emtpy password>
    cvs co myspell-debian-template
[2] halls@debian.org respectively rene@debian.org
--=20
 .''`.  Rene Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73
   `-   Fingerprint: 41FA F208 28D4 7CA5 19BB  7AD9 F859 90B0 248A EB73

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L--