[Dict-common-dev] RFC: removing /usr/dict symlink?

Agustin Martin Domingo agmartin@aq.upm.es
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:50:06 +0200

Hi all,

Some time ago, we received a wishlist-bug (#110632, cc'ing its
submitter) about keeping a bit longer a symbolic symlink at /usr/dict
because there was still some documentation referring to that old
location for /usr/dict/words. As a matter of fact some old docs refer to
it as a list of english words, what is not true for us.

I vaguely remember to have taken a look at the FHS at that time and
having seen that /usr/dict was no longer present, but that there was the
possibility of still keeping some symlinks at /usr to avoid users be
confused, although deprecating that (I might be wrong, that was some
time ago, and later than the last published one, so I probably read an
old one). So we provided such symlink.

That was about two years ago. Now we have received a wishlist bug with
exactly the opposite will (#206074). I have looked again at the FHS
(http://www.pathname.com/fhs/) and in the last released version (2.2.,
announced on May 24, 2001.) there is no trace of that /usr/dict dir.
Since sarge is close to release, is time to decide whether /usr/dict
will go in sarge for backwards compatibility or we prefer sarge to match
the FHS as much as possible. Even if no Debian package should rely on
that location, some very old programs might use it. So the question is
whether Debian should provide that symlink or not.

With the current state of the FHS I am more for no longer providing that
symlink, but would like to know other people point of view. In any case
I would only stop providing that symlink, but not remove it unless
dictionaries-common package is removed, so if a sysadmin wants to set
that symlink it will not be removed at normal dictionaries-common upgrade.

Opinions?

Cheers,

--
Agustin