[Dict-common-dev] Aspell hash autobuilding

Brian Nelson nelson@bignachos.com
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 21:23:04 -0700

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:55:59PM +0200, Agustin Martin wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:54:21AM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
[...]
> > * Change dictionaries to depend on aspell/aspell-bin, install word lists
> >   into /var/lib/aspell (or is it /usr/share/aspell?
>
> If aspell-bin is as now, dictionaries should depend on aspell-bin, while
> apps should depend on libaspell.. Dependencies on dictionaries-common should
> also be added or updated, current version is 0.30.2, and I will bump it to
> 0.49 to make it 0.50 as soon as we have really tested the system, so
> depending on dictionaries-common (> 0.40) is safe.

I think it's a good idea to kill aspell-bin and just move that stuff
into aspell.

Please take a look at these new packages I've prepared for the GCC 4.0
transition here:

  http://people.debian.org/~pyro/pending/

and let me know what you think.  They aren't fully ready to support
auto-hash-building, but I want to make sure they won't break it either.
Here's the contents of the changelog:

aspell (0.60.3-2) unstable; urgency=low

  * debian/control: renamed libaspell15 to libaspell15c2 for the GCC 4.0
    ABI change transition
  * debian/control: dropped a ton of old cruft in the conflicts/replaces
    lines
  * debian/rules: pass configure flags to change pkglibdir and pkgdatadir
    from /usr/lib/aspell-0.60 to /usr/lib/aspell, which is needed to make
    dictionary auto-hash-building transitions to newer Aspell versions
    less painful.  Note that this breaks all current aspell dictionary
    packages which install into /usr/lib/aspell-0.60.
  * debian/control: conflict with aspell6-dictionary packages, depend on
    aspell6a-dictionary packages instead
  * debian/control: merged aspell-bin back into aspell, since there really
    isn't any point in distinguishing between the two, especially when
    dictionary auto-hash-building becomes the norm.

 -- Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org>  Tue,  5 Jul 2005 20:39:03 -0700

--
Society is never going to make any progress until we all learn to
pretend to like each other.