[Dict-common-dev] Default wordlist selection by locale

Agustin Martin agustin.martin at hispalinux.es
Fri Sep 16 16:03:05 UTC 2005

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 04:47:54PM +0200, Agustin Martin wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 01:41:36PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:

> > I've got a hairy problem with installation of dictionaries as part of
> > the Ubuntu installation process.
> >
> > Part of our policy in the Ubuntu installer is to ask as few questions as
> > possible, and in particular to avoid questions in the second stage
> > (base-config). In most cases the second stage needs to ask no questions
> > at all, although occasionally X can't figure out the screen resolution
> > and has to ask for that. However, since we upgraded to the new
> > dictionaries-common (currently 0.49.2) and dictionaries as part of the
> > aspell 0.60 transition, installations have been asking which dictionary
> > should be the default.
>
> dictionaries-common.config should already give those results at the base
> installation stage.
>
> That is where the pre-seeding is done, after values given by
> "debian-installer/language" and "debian-installer/country" debconf values.
> If a reasonable value is found it is pre-seeded, and the question priority
> is set to low, for control maniacs.
>
> If something is going wrong there, that is the place to fix it
> (The installed dictionaries-common.config is really the concatenation
> dictionaries-common.config + dc-debconf-select.pl). At the base installation
> stage, when only configs are run, but packages are not yet installed that is
> the script that will be run (those in the dicts/wordlists will do nothing
> because the dc-debconf-select.pl script is not yet installed).
>
> Code there should try guessing the default ispell dictionary/wordlist after
> the debian-installer settings, or after the previous symlinks if upgrading
> from woody, with different priorities depending on the quality of the
> result,

Hi, Colin,

I have modified dictionaries-common.config-base, so after unsucessfully
trying everything resembling the debian-installer debconf language
value and trying later 'en_US' and other 'en' variants, iterates over
the remaining dicts and selects first match. Now, for a system installed
from scratch 'critical' priority should never make a question be prompted,
if it is, means that something is wrong. That version (0.50.4) has just
been uploaded to Debian and is waiting in incoming.

I still wonder what happened in your setup, because previous version should
have also worked if the values of debian-installer/language are as expected.
If you still have access to a machine showing the old behavior, please check
those values

debian-installer/language
debian-installer/country

If they have a legitimate value that confuses dictionaries-common.config,
that is something to be fixed.

Cheers,

--
Agustin