[Dict-common-dev] Huge Catalan dictionary

Jordi Mallach jordi at debian.org
Sat Mar 25 16:17:38 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've spent some hours thinking about how to solve:
#345242: aspell-ca: reports hyphenated and apostrophed words as
mispellings.

It's not trivial. Many verions ago, I asked Agustín about ideas to solve
the big size of my generated dictionaries. He suggested that I could
remove a few rules from my .aff file, and that indeed did generate a
reasonably-sized dictionary. Unfortunately, the stuff that was removed
from the resulting dictionary is quite annoying.

I tried adding some of the rules again, but the dictioary still grows
quite a bit. I've been discussing with my upstream dictionary
maintainer, and he suggests I remove some rules from the aff file and
then hack around the generated wordlist to make things work, although
they suck a bit.

The "100% correct" aspell dictionary is nearly 200 megabytes, as it
includes a lot of variations for hyphenated and apostrophed words, which
is mainly what was getting removed in the past.

My question is: has anyone else faced any similar problem with other
languages? Is a 200 meg dictionary reasonable?  I'd guess Italians and
French have some similar rules, so I'd like to think there are solutions
to this.

Jordi
jordi at sindominio.net     jordi at debian.org     http://www.sindominio.net/