[Dict-common-dev] openoffice.org: dictionary.lst is gone

Rene Engelhard rene at debian.org
Fri Dec 19 23:11:44 UTC 2008

Hi,

OpenOffice.org 3.0.0 removed the need for a dictionary.lst (but still
honoured it but since 3.0.1 rc1 it does not do even that anymore.). We now
can specify the paths of the dicts separately (and that even distinct
for dicts, hyph patters and thesauri)

Fortunately the naming scheme for the dictionaries didn't change, so the
packages' contents don't need to change - except that
 - .info-myspell is obsolete
 - the packages do not need to carll update-openoffice-dicts anymore
 - update-openoffice-dicts is not needed anymore

I think we should do the transition asap for squeeze and remove
dictionary.lst.

openoffice.org 3.0.1~rc1-1s preinst already removes the file from the hd,
but of course that's only part of the job since dictionaries-common and
all other packages will write it.

I propose the following diff, which - if you have no objections - will
upload to experimental together with OOo 3.0.1 and together to sid with it.

http://people.debian.org/~rene/openoffice.org/dictionary-lst-gone.diff

It allows a smoooth and step-for-step transition (update-openoffice-dicts
ibeing no-op if needed) and does not add it to packages rebuilt.
We should try to NMU those packages asap, though.
When all packages got transitioned we could remove it (and make
add Conflicts:/Breaks: for older OOos)

Comments?

Regards,

Rene