[Dict-common-dev] openoffice.org: dictionary.lst is gone

Rene Engelhard rene at debian.org
Tue Dec 23 19:54:03 UTC 2008

Hi,

Agustin Martin wrote:
> Appendix:
> <=lenny portability of myspell/hunspell dictionaries
> If you want your myspell/hunspell dictionary to work also in lenny you must
> provide a info file too, this very different though. It must be named as
> the package and contain the lines which were added to OpenOffice.org's
> dictionary.lst in older versions; it should be installed into
> /usr/share/myspell/infos/ooo. For example
>
>    # German (Germany)
>    DICT de DE de_DE
>
> which is the entry for German in Germany. First element is the kind of
> element, second the iso country code, third the iso language code, and
> finally the name of the .dic file, stripped of the extension.

Sounds good.

> We may make it require an special dictionaries-common version, handling new
> paths in case there is a change in paths. Some other portability additions
> may be needed.
>
> Also, installdeb-myspell should not fail if no info file is found, and of
> course install things in the new locations.

Yep

> On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 09:28:06PM +0100, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> > Oh, what I forgot to mention in my initial mail and the one cited is that
> OOo
> > now can handle separate dirs for the dicts.
> >
> > So I wanted to do (after this transition is over) do something like:
> >
> > /usr/share/hunspell: myspell/hunspell dicts
> > /usr/share/hyphen: hyphenation patterns
> > /usr/share/mythes or similar: thesauri
> >
> > The info file stuff then doesn't work either, and no direct compat with
> > lenny anyway.
>
> Well, I am now at an etch box, running a personal backport of experimental
> hunspell (1.2.8), so I may be wrong wrt to the version to be shipped with
> lenny,
>
> /usr/share/hunspell seems supported by 1.2.8 (correct me if needed for
> sid 1.2.6), so new hunspell/myspell dicts should be installed there. No

Nothing to correct, sids hunspell also contains

#define LIBDIR \
    "/usr/share/hunspell:" \
    "/usr/share/myspell:" \
    "/usr/share/myspell/dicts"

so hunspell itself is ok. (/usr/share/myspell/dicts is patched in
by me for the current path)

> problems expected for lenny if that path is already supported, and all dicts
> should start using that path.

Yes, but of course we need to fix OOo/Ice*

> For the other, symlinks may be added at maintainer will. My main concern is

Or --with-external-dict-dir=/usr/share/hunspell

> I would not remove /etc/openoffice/dictionary.lst from dictionaries-common
> preinst, nor remove update-openoffice-dicts call from dictionaries-common
> postinst. First may be run before ooo stuff, so having no effect, or called
> in an ooo<3 environment and then miss local changes. Second may be called

People who had local changes in dictionary.lst loose their config anyway
*unless* OOo3 finds them. But you're right.

the files are called a way to that OOo3 finds them.

For the first, we could wrap the rm.

> from a ooo <3 site, having a wrong effect. I am more for handling all that

? In a OOo2 env OOo will also run the script and all dicts do too in lenny.
Resulting in the file properly written.

> from update-openoffice-dicts, so things are done like (in pseudo-perl)
>
> if ( ooo>=3 ){
>   if ( -f /etc/openoffice/dictionary.lst ){
>     print STDERR "Removing obsolete ooo<3 /etc/openoffice/dictionary.lst file";
>     unlink etc/openoffice/dictionary.lst;
>   } else {
>     Run previous code ...
>   }
>
> Chances that somebody downgrades from ooo3 to ooo2 are minimal, so I think

Yep.

> Regarding the developers stuff, I only had a quick look at installdeb-myspell
> (so please fix me), and I am unclear about what the new version will do. I
> think we can keep old installdeb-myspell to create a backwards compatible
> structure, so maintainers wanting to have an hunspell only package can
> ignore it and use plain install for new only hunspell stuff.e
> installdeb-myspell will then install stuff in the new locations and set
> symlinks if appropriate. If, in the meantime, something good for
> hunspell+emacs/jed/whatever is prepared, we can consider how to put it here.

If we go this way, yes - my initial plan was simply not to care about
1:1 working of squeezes packages in lenny, so...

> While speaking about this, I do not know where the ice* (aka mozilla*) look
> for the dicts. We may need to do something special for them.

They have a symlink, currently pointing to /usr/share/myspell/dicts. That
symlink needs to be changed.

Grüße/Regards,

René
--
 .''`.  René Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene at debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73