[Dict-common-dev] How to use hunspell with ispell.el in emacs22 now?

Agustin Martin agustin.martin at hispalinux.es
Wed Oct 29 14:08:40 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 07:35:27PM +0100, Agustin Martin wrote:

> Have you looked at hunspell site at sourceforge? This may be a known
> problem (I am now in low bandwith, so I prefer not checking at this moment).

No need to debug, see

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2043080&group_id=143754&atid=756395

  [ 2043080 ] Missing version string in piped mode

  In piped mode (-a), hunspell currently does not print its version string,
  if the '-m' or '-s' parameters are given. Emacs' ispell.el seems to expect
  that output.

  hunspell versions 1.1.4 and 1.1.9 *did* print the version string, just like
  ispell and aspell do.

Quoting hunspell upstream, you should not expect ispell.el to fully work
with hunspell.

  Hunspell 1.2.7 prints the header for -a, but I don't believe, that
  ispell.el will handle the output of the stemming or the morphological
  analysis well.

However, in your case, things may work as long as you use the myspell dict.
Anyway, you need to wait for 1.2.7, currently in experimental, for that.

Cheers,

--
Agustin