[dpl-helpers] Evaluation criterias for prospective Trusted Organizations

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Sun Dec 15 12:49:54 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 07:13:10PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> So, new proposal below, where I tried to consolidate all points raised
> so far.

Thanks for this new text, it looks generally good to me.
Some minor comments are inlined below.

> The organization should share Debian's general visions
>
> The organization's activities and political stance should generally
> match Debian's own political and philosophical stances. If the
> organization is holding assets for other organizations, they should also
> generally match Debian's own political and philosophical stances.

The second sentence here looks problematic to me. If we take that as a
principle, it seems to imply that organizations that have been
recognized as TOs should seek Debian approval before accepting other
projects under their umbrella, barring the risk that Debian might want
to walk away if the don't do so. Given Debian might decide anyhow to
walk away whenever we see fit, I'd just remove the second sentence. It's
not clear what it gives us.

> The organization should provide accountability on assets held in trust
>
> Some examples of possible implementations:
> - The organization provides, on a regular and frequent basis,
>   detailed reports of assets tranfers and balance sheets, in a
>   machine-parsable format.

I suggest to give an idea of what we consider "regular and frequent
basis", even if only as an example. As mentioned before, I'd go for
"quarterly".

> - The organization provides a direct access to Debian's accounts,
>   in a machine-parsable format.

I think what you mean here with "direct" is access to the live data. I
suggest to explicitly say so.

HTH,
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack at upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o