[Fakeroot-devel] Feature: Add proot's --bind option

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at transmode.se
Mon Jul 21 17:55:12 UTC 2014

Clint Adams <clint at debian.org> wrote on 2014/07/21 18:22:26:

> On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 06:23:50PM +0200, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > proots --bind option is very handy when cross compiling. One problem
when
> > cross compiling is
> > the semihard sysroot location. Everything wants to find deps and
install
> > there.
> > Makes it hard to have multiple branches going at the same same time as

> > well as it requires
> > root privs.
> >
> > Using proot one can remap sysroot, proot -b $new-sysroot:$sysroot
> > now ever access to $sysroot will end up in $newsysroot which may be a
user
> > own/SCM controlled
> > directory.
> >
> > So having the same possibility in fakeroot would be awesome.
> > I have tried to combine proot -b with fakeroot but it does work well.
> > Gentoo's emerge command hangs at install.
> > proot seems fairly slow as well.
>
> Hi Joakim,
>
> I don't know anything about proot, but I tried this:
>
> % proot -b /etc:/tmp
> $ fakeroot id
> uid=0(root) gid=0(root)
groups=0(root),4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),25(floppy),27(sudo),29(audio),30(dip),44(video),46(plugdev),110(fuse),117(lpadmin),134(systemd-journal),1000(clint)

> Does that hang for you?

Good timing, fakeroot and proot does not hang anymore. Found an error in
build system(Gentoo portage)
which failed to run fakeroot properly. So now it works.
I still would like a --bind option to fakeroot though.

   Jocke