[Foo2zjs-maintainer] Architecture-independent files: CRDs and PPDs

Luca Capello luca at pca.it
Sun Mar 14 16:33:52 UTC 2010

Hi Michael!

I am sorry for the very long delay in my reply: while I was quite busy
when I received your mail, for some unknown reason I missed it and I
have recently found it in my INBOX...

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 13:08:40 +0200, Michael Koch wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 01:20:18AM +0200, Luca Capello wrote:
>> Lintian v2.2.9 shows the following information tag for the latest
>> foo2zjs version, i.e. 20090301dfsg-3:
>> =====
>> I: foo2zjs: arch-dep-package-has-big-usr-share 2700kB 62%
[...]
>> Thus, the two most problematic type of files are CRDs and PPDs.
>>
>> I think it is clear that the latter should get their own binary package,
>> similar to how other PPDs are shipped, e.g. hpijs-ppds or
>> openprinting-ppds.  Note that the PPDs included in the foo2zjs driver
>> are not distributed by OpenPrinting:
>>
>>   http://openprinting.org/show_driver.cgi?driver=foo2zjs
>>
>> Now let me go back to the former, thus CRDs files.  First of all, I
>> needed to understand what they are: according to Wikipedia, they are
>> Color Rendering Dictionaries, target (device) color profiles in
>> PostScript documents.  If I have understood correctly, this means that
>> each printer should have its own CRD, in a way similar to ICC profiles.
>> Thus CRDs as well should get their own binary package.
>>
>> Creating the two new binary packages described above strips down the
>> size of the foo2zjs binary package to 1MB vs. 1.5MB.  OTOH, the
>> installed size is now half of the previous one, 2.1MB vs. 4.3MB.  This
>> has two major advantages:
>>
>> 1) as lintian suggested, it reduces the disk space and bandwidth
>>    required by mirrors (I know disk space is nowadays cheap, but I am of
>>    the idea that we should always aim at optimize as best as possible).
>>
>> 2) sysadmins can tune their systems in a more finer way (I am one of
>>    those people who try to avoid installing stuff that I do not need).
>>
>>    NB, the (obvious) fact that the foo2zjs binary package Recommend:
>>    foo2zjs-crds and foo2zjs-ppds means that installing foo2zjs will pull
>>    in the two other packages, thanks to the APT::Install-Recommends
>>    option on by default :-)
>>
>> I will commit the changes above this week-end, if no one will complain
>> before...
>
> What's the status of this? I will upload 20090301dsg-4 today. I would be great
> if you could commit this afterwards.

My new plan is to upload 20090908dfsg-2 soon, closing three bugs:

1) <http://bugs.debian.org/517957>, firmware in /lib/firmware/hp

2) <http://bugs.debian.org/550268>, Luca Bedogni no more in Uploaders:

3) <http://bugs.debian.org/558978>, fix the udev rules file

Then, once this version will have reached testing, I will upload a new
upstream version, introducing the two new binary packages and
synchronising the Debian package with Ubuntu.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca