[Foo2zjs-maintainer] foo2zjs in squeeze

Luca Capello luca at pca.it
Fri Nov 5 03:31:13 UTC 2010

Hi there!

Please Cc: me, I'm not subscribed to the list.

The current foo2zjs package in squeeze (version 20090908dfsg-4) is
lagging behind, and I take all the responsibility.  Nevertheless, there
are two major bugs I would like to solve for squeeze, one being very
easy to fix and the other one requiring a very big gift from the Release
Team.

1) #601591 - tk8.4: Should not recommend xterm

   This was already "solved" even before the bug was submitted, thanks
   to the fact that Ubuntu experienced a similar problem.  Fixing this
   in the current squeeze package is very easy and does not change any
   functionality.

2) #594322 - foo2zjs: Please upgrade to more recent version for Squeeze

   This is the beast I was talking about.  Basically, I have
   incorporated all Ubuntu changes except two, points 5 and 10 at the
   link below, for which I am (still) waiting from input from the Ubuntu
   maintainer:

   As I wrote in the BTS, my foo2zjs-driven printer is now broken, thus
   I could not test the preliminary package.  However, given that this
   is the same version present in Ubuntu (cc:ing the maintainer) since a
   while (and as well in their latest release, 10.10 AKA maverick), I am
   more than confident that this version should work flawlessly, or at
   least not worse that the current one in squeeze.

   Other than upstream improvements (e.g. support for new printers), one
   of the main advantages in this version is the (almost complete) sync
   with Ubuntu and the start of a more active collaboration between the
   people involved in this package (thanks, Till).

   This will probably also be the last version from the foo2zjs team,
   given that the Debian Printing Team (cc:ing the mailing list and
   Didier, who proposed the merge) should handle the package under its
   umbrella.

Please also note that I am waiting for the confirmation about another
bug, #580690, which should be caused by both Debian not being able to
ship upstream QPDL files (unclear license) and the ICM files not being
save in the correct place.  A variation of the Ubuntu fix for the latter
problem has been merged in the Debian SVN package repository.

What should I do?  Is it still possible to have a freeze exception for
the new upstream version or should I simply fix #601591 and upload the
new upstream version to experimental (and then backports, once squeeze
is out)?

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca