Tips for git cheatsheet

David Paleino d.paleino at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 19:52:00 UTC 2008

Hi all,
I've just committed my first package using git. Here's some tips I found
useful, which I think should be included in Daniel's cheatsheet:

1) make an alias in your ~/.bashrc, ~/.bash_aliases, or the like:

alias git-b="git-buildpackage --git-ignore-new"

the --git-ignore-new option lets you build your Debian package even if there
are changes uncommitted (yes, with those changes included). This lets you
"test" your package before committing, thus avoiding useless commits/reverts

2) edit your /etc/git-buildpackage/gdp.conf, or ~/.gdp.conf and:

[DEFAULT]
debian-branch = debian    # the default is "master", I believe we want "debian"

[git-buildpackage]
sign-tags = True
keyid = 0xdeadbeef
export-dir = ../build-area/  # acts like svn-buildpackage
tarball-dir = ../tarballs/   # see above

Also, setting export-dir, ensures that our current directory doesn't get
bloated with build-time files.

Now I'm ready for flames :)

David

--