pritine-tar data

Julien Valroff julien at debian.org
Sun Jun 5 12:12:44 UTC 2011

Hi,

While working on several packages, I have noticed that upstream tarballs
were incorreclty imported to pristine-tar, leading to the following warning
when using git-buildpackage:

  gbp:warn: Unknown compression type of Adding pristine-tar version 0.20., assuming gzip

This means gpb cannot detect which compression format to use to re-generate
the upstream tarball (and falls back to gzip). gbp --git-compression option
could be used, but then, it's up to the maintainer to guess the compression
format.

I am not sure why gbp fails to detect this format, I haven't been able to
find how it tries to guess it (not enquire so much though).

Do you use git-import-orig with i --pristine-tar option to automatically do
this job?

This error is fixed by removing the .id and .delta files for a particular
version, and re-importing it manually as follows:

% uscan --force-download
% git checkout pristine-tar
% git rm <pkg-name>_<pkg-version>.orig.tar.gz.{id,delta}
% git commit -a
% pristine-tar commit ../<pkg-name>_<pkg-version>.orig.tar.gz

Here is a good link from Joey Hess's blog about using pristine-tar checkout
and commit commands:
http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/generating_pristine_tarballs_from_git_repositories/

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Julien

--
  .''`.   Julien Valroff ~ <julien at kirya.net> ~ <julien at debian.org>
 : :'  :  Debian Developer & Free software contributor