gpart repository

Baruch Even baruch at ev-en.org
Thu Oct 31 18:31:36 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Henri Salo <henri at nerv.fi> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 11:57:33PM +0200, Baruch Even wrote:
>> You are all listed as maintainers or last commiters for the gpart package
>> of your respective distribution. I've had to use gpart lately and found
>> that different distributions had different fixes since upstream
>> disappeared. I've collated all the patches into a single repository and
>> hope it could be the basis for future collaboration between the
>> distributions.
>>
>> The repository is located at https://github.com/baruch/gpart
>> Though I will be happy to hand it over to anyone else who would like to
>> maintain it.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Baruch
>
> Hello,
>
> To me this sounds like a great idea. Could you write some short overview of
> differences between distros? You could also come to OFTC IRC network to channel
> #debian-forensics and discuss the topic.
>
> Forensics team also needs support with closing bugs and improve overall quality
> of packages if you are interested.
>
> ---
> Henri Salo

As far as the Debian package is concerned there are only two
additions, both are overflow bug fixes that came from the OpenSUSE
package.

I will probably play a bit with gpart and trying to fix warnings and
an error that I encountered (seek error on what seems to be a detected
embedded ext2 partition larger than the disk size) but I don't believe
I'll be a full time maintainer for the gpart package. It is close to
areas I care about (disks and their failures) but I'm trying to focus
on some specific interests of mine and have little time for other
projects.

Baruch