Suggestion: move autopsy maintenance to Debian Forensics team

Eriberto eriberto at eriberto.pro.br
Mon Mar 17 00:16:00 UTC 2014

Hi!

I looked over the new autopsy 3 (currently in 3.0.9 version)[1]. The
upstream says[2]:

"Although Autopsy is designed to be cross-platform (Windows, Linux,
MacOSX), the current version is fully functional and fully tested only
on Windows.
We have run it on XP, Vista, and Windows 7 with no problems."

My first impression is that is a pure Windows based program. The
upstream stuffed several third-party softwares in his tarball, doing
79 MB. An example:

$ ls thirdparty
ant-contrib  crt  gstreamer  jdiff  jfxrt  junit  libscalpel_jni
mactime  pasco2  sigar

I think that the upstream linked autopsy with some specific versions
of the other programs. Exemple:

$ ls thirdparty/ant-contrib/1.0b3/lib
bcel-5.1.jar  commons-httpclient-3.0.1.jar  commons-logging-1.0.4.jar
ivy-1.3.1.jar

As I talked before, I will analyse all in two or three weeks. But I
think that this is a Windows only code...

Good night!

Cheers,

Eriberto

[1] https://github.com/sleuthkit/autopsy/releases