[Freewx-maint] ITP: bitcoin -- peer-to-peer network based anonymous digital currency

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Sep 10 09:31:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 05:16:06PM +0100, Robert McKay wrote:
>So.. what's the status? Waiting on wxWidgets? I see that someone raised
>an intent to package that too, but then didn't do anything about it.
>
>http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=492896

Now I understand your question.  Yes, indeed it seems that Bitcoin can't
work with WxWidget 2.8 (which is what I tried so far), but requires
WxWidget 2.9 not yet available in Debian.

WxWidget is huge. I have my hands full with other projects - but perhaps
an interesting challenge for the WxWidgets team: Upstream seems to
encourage relying on it, stating on the front page of the project that
"in spite of being called a development release, we believe that 2.9.1
can be used in production environment".

Perhaps package it but release only for experimental for now?

Cc'ing the WxWidgets team.

Kind regards,

  - Jonas