[Freewx-maint] Segfault in libwxgtk3.0-0

Nathael Pajani nathael.pajani at ed3l.fr
Wed Jul 23 00:01:14 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm using kicad on Debian SID, which depends on libwxgtk3.0-0, but I have segfaults which
comes from functions in wxWidgets.

The problem is easy to reproduce using kicad package (rev 0.20140622+bzr4027-2) on debian
SID which is the current version and uses libwxgtk3.0-0.

Launch pcbnew, open the menu "tools" and chose the "DRC" entry. In the dialog box use the
button "start DRC" (top right one).

Then I have a segfault, and I'm not the only one :
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1345596

gdb backtrace shows this on an empty project :
#2 0x00007ffff6c2ca3a in wxWindow::GTKUpdateCursor(bool, bool) ()
   from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwx_gtk2u_core-3.0.so.0

or this under different conditions (harder to reproduce, needs a sample project or more
operations):
#0 0x00007ffff6dcbf59 in wxCursor::GetCursor() const () from
/usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_core-3.0.so.0

I have kicad installed on another computer, same kicad revision (bzr4027) but different
build (2014-02-24) with older wxWidgets library (2.8 : libwxgtk2.8-0 2.8.12.1+dfsg2-1) and
there is no problem with this one, so I think there is a problem somewhere between kicad
and libwxgtk, related to the cursor handling.

I also have some strange cursor behaviors, which are not present when using kicad on the
other computer with the older build using libwxgtk2.8-0

I tried the latest versions of Kicad (bzr5018), and the behavior is the same :
Segmentation fault.

I'm available for more tests or help to reproduce the bug.
I've compiled libwxgtk3.0 from debian sources and kicad from bzr sources in order to track
down the problem, but I'm not used to building debian packages. When I tried to modify
libwxgtk the "debian/rules build", make told me there's nothing to be done, so I stoped
there and wrote this email.

Thanks.
+++

--