[Freewx-maint] Notice of mailing list closure: freewx-maint

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Apr 4 03:52:46 UTC 2018

On Tue, Apr 03, 2018 at 11:26:42PM -0400, Scott Talbert wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Apr 2018, Olly Betts wrote:
>
> >On 4 April 2018 at 10:35, Scott Talbert <swt at techie.net> wrote:
> >>Olly, are you going do to this?
> >
> >I wasn't going to bother - if you discount the automatic emails which
> >one can subscribe to more directly via tracker.d.o, etc then this
> >mailing list relays more spam than genuine emails, and I've actually
> >been meaning to close it down for a while.
> >
> >If people think a discussion list is useful, it's probably better to
> >migrate to a list hosted on lists.d.o since alioth-lists.d.n is
> >intended to be a relatively short-term solution (one or two release
> >cycles).
>
> Well, I guess it has been mostly just you and me lately.  I suppose we can
> just do that direct instead.

Probably better to use a tracker.d.o team - option 3 here:

https://wiki.debian.org/Salsa/AliothMigration#Import_mailing_list

That means interested people can join (and leave!) but I don't think
there's a public archive.

I'm happy to migrate to list.d.o if people think an actual list is
useful.  It should at least have better spam filtering there than the
current list.  Or to alioth-lists.d.n if that really seems the best
option.

> What about the mailing list being the maintainer of the packages?  Just
> remove that?

We could point it to a tracker.d.o team.

Cheers,
    Olly