[Glibc-bsd-devel] Re: comments on the FreeBSD packages

Nathan Hawkins utsl@quic.net
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:43:00 -0400

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 09:12:20PM +0000, Robert Millan wrote:
> Hi Nathan,
>
> Well, these are just style issues that annoyed me when playing with
> your packages (I made some minor improvements, see CVS), but if you're
> going to be the primary maintainer for these packages, certainly
> i have nothing to complain about. :)

These packages are in pretty early stages. I know there are issues. I've
been mainly focusing on getting things to work, and letting improvements
in the packaging wait until later.

There are several daemons that will need init scripts, and a handful
of things that need to be hooked up in /etc/rcS.d (adjtimez and entropy
come to mind.)

> I'd like to suggest, though, that for flexibility we have tools
> that replace particular packages as separate, analogous packages too, eg:
>
> make/pmake -> freebsd-make
> byacc/bison -> freebsd-yacc
> flex -> freebsd-lex

I'm going to take a look at hacking the freebsd-make (fmake) so that it
doesn't conflict with pmake. They both want to use /usr/share/mk, and I
think I can fix that.  The other ones might be fixable as well, if I get
creative.

> Otherwise if you want, say, FreeBSD lex and GNU bison at the same time
> there's no easy way to have that combination.

I don't have time to upload them today, but I've been busy hacking on
freebsd-utils. I now have ~115 utilities being built, including ppp,
nfsd, and whole bunch of other things.  I'll try to at least upload the
source packages in the next couple days.

I did run into a nasty problem, while trying to build devd. Apparently
c++ doesn't work at all in the native libc build environment.

	---Nathan