[Glibc-bsd-devel] Re: comments on the FreeBSD packages

Nathan Hawkins utsl@quic.net
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:21:30 -0400

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 10:04:17PM +0000, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 05:43:00PM -0400, Nathan Hawkins wrote:
> > I don't have time to upload them today, but I've been busy hacking on
> > freebsd-utils. I now have ~115 utilities being built, including ppp,
> > nfsd, and whole bunch of other things.  I'll try to at least upload the
> > source packages in the next couple days.
>
> No hurry; when you do, please use the CVS at alioth (you have write access)
>
> As for PPP, I hope the FreeBSD people will like to move my ported ppp to the
> ports collection (iirc the PPP they have in base is not actively maintained).

I read some response on one of the lists, and it sounded positive. To be
clear, I built /usr/bin/ppp, which is one of three possible ppp
implementations. There is also mpd in the ports tree, and
/usr/sbin/pppd. You speak of the last, and it is probably the least
featured on FreeBSD.

> > I did run into a nasty problem, while trying to build devd. Apparently
> > c++ doesn't work at all in the native libc build environment.
>
> ouch! well, hopefuly not critical.. looking at the manpage, devd doesn't seem
> very hard to port anyway. (that is, if it uses standard calls for watching
> /dev)

It uses a special FreeBSD interface, I believe. Probably kqueue, and I
think a special device. I got pccard and usbd built, so laptop users
should be okay.

I just ran across something interesting:
http://www.dragonflybsd.org

I'm curious about whether this'll be binary compatible enough to be able
to drop in as alternate kernel package. 8-)  I wrote the author to ask.

	---Nathan