[Glibc-bsd-devel] sysvinit

Guillem Jover guillem@debian.org
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 08:35:44 +0200

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 11:07:07PM -0400, Nathan Hawkins wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 09:09:23PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 05:35:59PM +0000, Robert Millan wrote:
> > > For those of you who feel brave to try it out, you need to install it manualy
> > > because the FreeBSD init (installed by default) is version 5.0:
> > >
> > >   wget -c ftp://khazad.dyndns.org/pub/apt/dists/unstable/main/binary-freebsd-i386/sysvinit_2.85-7+kbsd_freebsd-i386.deb
> > >   dpkg -i sysvinit_2.85-7+kbsd_freebsd-i386.deb
> > >
> > > Have fun (specialy if it renders your system unbootable) ;)
> >
> > It's probable it will if you don't install
> > initscripts_2.85-7+kbsd_all.deb and sysv-rc_2.85-7+kbsd_all.deb. =P
>
> There are a number of things that will need to go in those that aren't
> on linux. I know about some, but best approach is probably to go through
> BSD rc scripts, and find out what it does.

I'll take a look in some days, to check if we are missing something. But
for now sysvinit port is complete, I mean I've fixed the *_all packages,
you can take a look at them. The problem is that other init scripts fail
and the ones from sysvinit cannot umount the mountpoints, so every boot
the fsck is forced also the ifupdown route problem, nothing more.

Another problem I've faced is that on freebsd when using devfs I cannot
create fifos (named pipes) on /dev, and some linux programs expect this
behaviour. Is it possible to create such files ? Or should we push to
move those files to another place like /var/run for example ?

> > It fails when shuting down the system because start-stop-deamon does not
> > stop daemons and also inetd cannot be stopped because a problem on the
> > pid file, thus file systems are in use and cannot be unmounted. But I'm
> > working on them. Also I've had a regression, the halt command was working
> > but I did some chnages and now it reboots, I'll look at this as well.
>
> I was working on the start-stop-daemon problem. It needs a fair amount
> of work for --exec to work on freebsd. Mostly, I've had problems with
> starting the system up. (Daemons not started because start-stop-daemon
> thinks their already running.)

Now they start properly, the problem is when stopping them, do you have
more notes or patches for this ? I'll continue if you are not working on
this anymore.

regards,
guillem