bsd make

Robert Millan rmh@debian.org
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 01:25:29 +0200

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 11:12:17AM -0700, Cherry George Mathew wrote:
> --- Robert Millan <rmh@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > We need someone to compile and package part of the
> > FreeBSD documentation for
> [...]
> > This only requires knowledge on creating Debian
> > packages.  If you have
> > experience on that, would you like to help?
>
> I currently use an iBook running Debian GNU/Linux
> 3.0/NetBSD-2.0/MacOSX for open source work.
>
> If I can base the work on either of these OSes, I'd be
> more than happy to pitch in. I know very little about
> the GNU/kFreeBSD project, although I've been a long
> time Debian GNU/Linux user, and am familiar with the
> debian packaging system, as well as with FreeBSD.

This task can be done perfectly from Debian GNU/Linux.  The only nitpick is
that maybe you have to temporarily uninstall the "manpages" package in order
to test yours, but that's all.

If you are interested in helping with this, please checkout the sections of
FreeBSD 5.2.1 manpages that apply to our system, and create a Debian package
that installs them.

Other FreeBSD documents might also be useful.  For example, some parts of the
FreeBSD Handbook.

Thanks for your interest,

--
Robert Millan

(Debra and Ian) (Gnu's Not (UNiplexed Information and Computing System))/\
(kernel of *(Berkeley Software Distribution))