Bits (Nybbles?) from the Vancouver release team meeting

Robert Millan rmh@debian.org
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 21:18:20 +0100

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 05:36:38PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Robert Millan wrote:
>
> > I think we meet all of these except the last one.  Any comments?
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 08:45:09PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> >
> > > - binary packages must be built from the unmodified Debian source
> > >   (required, among other reasons, for license compliance)
>
> We clearly do not meet this one, as there are lots of packages that we
> have had to fork for config.{sub,guess}, libtool, and other things.

I was worried about this, too.  So I asked:

Looks like this just means that we don't upload hacked packages to the archive,
which is obviously not going to happen ;).

> While we are at it, I think it's about time to change the "relaxed"
> upload policy for ftp.gnuab.org. Every package which is not the exact
> result of compiling the Debian source from ftp.debian.org *must* be
> produced from a modified Debian source package that we also ship.
>
> This is not only required for license compliance, as pointed out by
> Steve, it also helps the official package maintainer to incorporate
> the changes in the Debian package easily, as it should be crystal
> clear from the NMU what exactly had to be changed. Frankly, I never
> bought the theory that "trivial" changes are allowed to violate the
> license. There is no such thing as a "trivial" change.

Ok.  I'll build my modified uploads without -B|-b from now on to sort out the
legal problem.  For technical reasons, though, I prefer having patches in
the svn repo than collecting them from source packages in gnuab.

If you think uploads to "unreleased" without source should be checked for
and disallowed by mini-dak, this has to be dealt with Guillem.

> > > - the architecture must have successfully compiled 50% of the archive's
> > >   source (excluding architecture-specific packages)
>
> Hmm, do we have any figure for this?

I don't have precise stats at hand, but we have roughly more than 75% of the
archive so this is no problem.

I'll add my buildd to the www.buildd.net network soon, so that our stats are
publicly available (and we can also prove we have a buildd, which happens to be
one of the requisites).

--
 .''`.   Proudly running Debian GNU/kFreeBSD unstable/unreleased (on UFS2+S)
: :' :