nmap fingerprint

Alexander Sack asac@jwsdot.com
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:18:06 +0100

Robert Millan wrote:

>They don't say exactly that, but:
>
>"Netcraft determines the operating system of the queried host by looking in
>detail at the network characteristics of the HTTP reply received from the web site."
>
>which sounds pretty ambigous.  Are you sure their detection is not based on tcp
>fingerprinting?

no, not sure ... anyway, I think that the tcp stack is not built for the
sake of OS detection. Let's try to submit the info to the nmap and
netcraft maintainer (I can do this) and see if it helps!

You know about a domain that runs GNU/kFreeBSD and is always up?

--
 GPG messages preferred. |  .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux **
 Alexander Sack          | : :' :      The  universal