Can't start X twice

Konstantinos Koukopoulos kouk at noc.uoa.gr
Mon Nov 7 12:12:36 UTC 2005

On Monday 07 November 2005 11:34, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 10:29:35AM +0200, Konstantinos Koukopoulos wrote:
> > > Anyone knows if this bug happens on GNU/Linux too?
> >
> > On my Debian GNU/Linux unstable it doesn't happen.
> >
> > One difference is that on GNU/kfreebsd X creates a socket
> > called /tmp/.X11-unix/X  whereas on GNU/linux I get a socket
> > called /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 (both servers run on display 0). Apart from this
> > difference a casual glance of related files doesn't give me any other
> > hint as to what could be the problem. One more semi-exceptional thing is
> > that /tmp/.X11-unix has the sticky bit set.
>
> Strange.  Why would the paths be different?
>
> Maybe there's a build time condition that makes it work different for Linux
> or something.  Anyone has a FreeBSD system at hand (with X11R6.8) to tell
> which is the path there?

There's more breakage due to this oddity. The following happens through an X
session on quoth, a machine that runs gnu/kfreebsd:

kouk at quoth:~$ ls /tmp/.X11-unix
kouk at quoth:~$ echo $DISPLAY
:0.0
kouk at quoth:~$ ssh -X atlantic
Enter passphrase for key '/home/kouk/.ssh/id_dsa':
Last login: Mon Nov  7 13:39:02 2005 from quoth.noc.uoa.g
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.9       Generic May 2002
0:kouk at atlantic:~>xcalc
connect /tmp/.X11-unix/X0: No such file or directory
X connection to atlantic:11.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

so basically ssh X forwarding is broken :-(