Threading in the future?

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Sun Nov 13 10:20:22 UTC 2005

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 03:23:44PM +0800, Jett Tayer wrote:
> hmmm lets all stick to the original plan. FreeBSD kernel on GNU
> userland.
> so i should say we make less modifications on the freebsd kernel if
> at all possible.
>
> what do u think?

We don't have enough manpower to get into serious kernel hacking, but aren't
really talking about modifying the kernel anyway.  See what Aurelien just said:

> >On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 12:12:00AM +0100, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > [...] NPTL is not a good choice, except
> >>if it
> >>is supported upstream for the linux compatibility layers.

So we'll be only using NPTL if upstream supports it (which I think is likely).
If they don't support it, we'll have to cook up another solution, probably with
libthr/etc, but this means a lot more work for us.

In any case, short term (i.e. for etch) sticking with LinuxThreads is probably
the easiest.

--
Robert Millan