Ging 0.1.0

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Mon Nov 14 16:55:06 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I'm new to this list, and just jumping in, so forgive me if I've missed
something :)

On Monday 14 November 2005 16:14, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 07:51:38AM -0800, Hassard, Stephen wrote:
> > As far as I can tell from my Linux PCs, when no monitor frequencies are
> > included, the display driver is queried for the info. I'm not sure what
> > drivers this works with, but I've personally tried it with i810, nv, and
> > ati without problems. vesa works by defacto since it only supports 60Hz.
> > I can verify this functionality tonight with my freebsd 6.0 box with the
> > nv driver, which seems to be behave the same.
>
> Uhm that suggests that read-edid is not really needed, and frequencies
> should just be removed from xorg.conf.

This works better with the onboard prosavage chipset and (unknown) packard
bell monitor that I'm using for gnu/kfreebsd too.

With debconf, I had to guess the frequencies, which didn't work out so well :)
I looked around for read-edid, and looked into trying to compile it, but I
gave up when I saw it directly talks to the BIOS/interrupts; figured that
wouldn't compile without some work.

Anyway, I knew Xfree/Xorg was supposed to cope with this stuff, so I tried
just removing the frequency data from the X config file, and it worked just
fine.

read-edid *is* a nice little tool, but I think the main problem is that
debconf is overzealous about choosing when the frequencies need to be
manually specified.

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com