xresprobe (was: Re: Ging 0.1.0)

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Tue Nov 15 08:01:46 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 10:48:27AM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 05:14:04PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 07:51:38AM -0800, Hassard, Stephen wrote:
> > > As far as I can tell from my Linux PCs, when no monitor frequencies are
> > > included, the display driver is queried for the info. I'm not sure what
> > > drivers this works with, but I've personally tried it with i810, nv, and
> > > ati without problems. vesa works by defacto since it only supports 60Hz.
> > > I can verify this functionality tonight with my freebsd 6.0 box with the
> > > nv driver, which seems to be behave the same.
> >
> > Uhm that suggests that read-edid is not really needed, and frequencies should
> > just be removed from xorg.conf.
> >
> > I'm adding CC to debian-x, let's see what they think.
>
> It works in some cases, but not all.  xserver-xorg uses xresprobe these
> days anyway, which works far, far, far better for getting DDC and EDID
> information on i386.  Still needs a fixup for amd64 and other non-i386
> architectures, though.

Ok I see.  Looks like it's FTBFSing [1] atm:

    gcc -E -M -g -Wall -O2 *.c > .depend
    lrmi.c:21:22: error: asm/vm86.h: No such file or directory
    modetest.c:5:22: error: linux/kd.h: No such file or directory

Fortunately I've gone through lrmi.c before.  It's ported to FreeBSD already and
just needs a few minor adjustments for GNU/kFreeBSD.

I ported it when working on vesautils, and found some uncommitted patches around
in my disk.  I've put them in:

  trunk/web/patches/upstream-only/vesautils/

AFAIK lrmi.c is a file shared by more than one project so i made it a separate
patch.

[1] http://www.buildd.net/cgi/package_status?unstable_pkg=xresprobe&searchtype=kfreebsd-i386

--
Robert Millan