TERM initialisation

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Sat Oct 15 15:57:13 UTC 2005

Hello,

Where should the TERM variable be initialised?  On GNU/Linux, it is Linux itself
that sets it up, and init already has it implicitly.  Currently, GNU/kFreeBSD is
setting it on getty, but this is not a complete solution (for example, some
boot scripts require terminal-specific functionality).

Should we patch the kernel, or patch sysvinit?  I think it belongs in kernel.

I'm asking about this because /etc/init.d/xserver-xorg doesn't work at all
unless you "magicaly" initialise TERM before running init (which is what ging is
currently doing).

--
Robert Millan