New install process

Frederic Lehobey Frederic.Lehobey at free.fr
Mon Sep 5 08:56:44 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 10:10:00AM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 12:58:25AM +0200, Frederic Lehobey wrote:

> > First, as I have a french azerty keyboard, I chose in the first
> > installation menu the `French ISO (accent)' for `System Console
> > Keymap'.  It was most useful in the first part of the freebsd
> > installation (consider the consequences of confusing a and q...).  :-)
> > Unfortunately this setting is not kept later, and I have not yet been
> > able since to set again a french keyboard (console-data seems to have
> > missing dependencies -- any workaround?).

> There's a package called "kbdcontrol" that you can use for keyboard mapping
> setup.  I don't know how it works though.

I'll try it later.

> > The only real issue I encountered was at the end of the Minimal
> > installation.  As suggested by your docs, I answered No to all the
> > questions at the end of the basic install (after I got the `successful
> > install message') up to the choice of a root password.  There,
> > whatever may be the characters I typed, the system stayed in some
> > somewhat broken state.  Not any command work in the 4th virtual
> > terminal (no ps, no reboot, no shutdown...).  I have not found any
> > better way than (ugly) hard reset.
>
> Please can you be more specific on what you did?  Specialy, I'd like to know
> what did you do after native-install finished to run (in VT3), and the installer
> sent you back to VT1.
>
> Perhaps the instructions are not clear, but all you have to do at that point is
> exiting the install process and reboot.  You don't have to set the root password
> or anything untill you boot into Debian GNU/kFreeBSD natively.

Just to be precise, the end of native-install is the `Congratulations!
You now have FreeBSD installed on your system' message, isn't it?

Then after, I simply answered `No' to all the following question (the
first one being about Ethernet configuration) up to the root password
question where I have not found any way not to answer it (nor to
escape from it).

The instructions say `When the process is complete, the FreeBSD
installer will ask if you want to do any further setup. Answer no to
all of these questions and exit the installation system.' so I
expected to have the opportunity to exit the installation system, but
no such offer was made to me up to the root password question.  Maybe
pressing Esc or something like that at that time would have
interrupted the installation, but then I think if it is what you meant
you should be more specific about it in the instructions.

> > I had to fix myself /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts for the name I had
> > chosen (needed for X).
>
> I assume you chosed it in the FreeBSD installer interface?  (This isn't expected
> to have any effect either).

No, I did not set it such a way.  It was simply `debian' by default
(after reboots).  But then X was complaining.  The fix was to add the
(new) hostname (I had put in /etc/hostname) in the first line of
/etc/hosts.

> > By the way, after X failures (while setting X) I got messages saying
> > an other X was running (which was not supported by ps).  And the only
> > way I found to get rid of these messages was a few more (ugly)
> > reboots.
>
> This is a generic Debian bug AFAIK.  You just need to remove /tmp/.X11*

Did not know it (nothing such showed up on my sid machines, but maybe
I did not put them in similar conditions).  Thanks for the hint.

I noticed the clock is one hour ahead (my time zone being currently
-- summer time -- GMT+2) compared to Linux.  Is kfreebsd assuming
clock at local time instead of GMT?

By the way, trying to fix / workaround this, I found ntpdate package
to freeze at postinst script stage.

Best regards,
Frederic Lehobey