Basic portation thought

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Mon Feb 13 18:29:21 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 02:09:46PM -0200, Matheus Morais wrote:
> Let see if I understand well the question. Basically to have Debian ported
> to another kernel its necessary, in technical aspects, port GNU C Library
> and the dynamic linker (ld) to the new kernel. After that is need to compile
> each package to have it working on the new system. Is there right or I miss
> something?

Basicaly yes.  The toolchain also needs some (minor) work.  Then there's the
task of bootstrapping debian, and packaging the kernel itself and related
components.

May I ask, do you have some particular kernel in mind?

> PS: This is the right place to have these kind of discussion?

I'm not sure.  Originaly, this list was a generic one for various *BSD porting
efforts.

Then glibc-bsd-devel was created for discussion of Glibc-based GNU/k*BSD ports,
out of which only GNU/kFreeBSD gained significant momentum.

Then the non-Glibc ports vanished and debian-bsd list became unused.  Later
Aurelien set this list for logs of commits, uploads, etc.

--
Robert Millan