[Gnome22-user] GNOME 2.2 Volume Control 2.2.2 Forgets Settings

Michael G. Morey mmorey@optivel.com
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:46:23 -0500

James Strandboge wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 12:08, Michael G. Morey wrote:
>

>>All,
>>
>>I find the GNOME 2.2 Volume Control 2.2.2 to be confusing.  I don't
>>understand the need for two PCM sliders ("pcm" and "pcm2").  Also, the
>>help page (Help->Help) appears to describe a slightly different applet.
>>My volume control has no provision to allow for the saving of volume
>>settings, for example, as the help page would have me believe.  Each
>>time I start up GNOME, the "pcm" and "pcm2" sliders are at minimum
>>settings.  There appears to be no way to get the volume control to
>>remember the volumes I set, and so I'm forced to go back and set them
>>each time I start GNOME.  It's quite annoying.  I've checked, and the
>>alsamixer program does save settings between reboots, and so that is not
>>the problem.
>>

>The pcm sliders are just what your card is reporting if I am not
>mistaken.  I believe that the volume control needs the OSS compatible
>alsa modules loaded, eg:
>
>snd-pcm-oss
>snd-mixer-oss
>
>Perhaps these modules are not loaded before you enter gnome?  I can say
>that I use alsa, and the volume control works here.  Have you check
>bugzilla.gnome.org?
>
>Jamie

Jamie,

I stand corrected.  The sliders are as ALSA presents them.  I've found
that installing hotplug enables the correct saving and restoring of
volume settings.  I'm not sure why this is so.  I do see quite a few
"already loaded" messages at boot time now, mostly for USB devices, such as:

usbcore already loaded
usbcore already loaded
usbcore already loaded

etc.