[Gnome22-user] GNOME 2.2 Session Errors on Debian Woody

Michael G. Morey mmorey@optivel.com
Thu, 03 Jun 2004 15:31:57 -0500

--------------000208000804060100050707

All,

I'm running XFree86 4.3.0 (http://people.debian.org/~nobse/xfree86) on
Debian Woody, and I'm having a bit of difficulty starting a GNOME
session.  I've installed GNOME 2.2 per the instructions on
http://gnome22.alioth.debian.org/.  I see the following three error
dialogs pop up upon GNOME session start-up:

    Error: There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.  Some
things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work
correctly.  The settings Daemon restarted too many times.

    Error: Nautilus can't be used now, due to an unexpected error from
Bonobo when attempting to register the file manager view server.

    Error: There was a problem registering the panel with the
bonobo-activation server.
    The error code is: 3.
    The panel will now exit.

I've attached my saved .xsession-errors file.  It includes the following
messages:

    ** (gnome-panel:14774): WARNING **: Extremely strange, strange
object directories (0)registered with the activation context

    ** (gnome-panel:14774): WARNING **: FIXME: wait for completion
unimplemented

    ** (nautilus:14776): WARNING **: Extremely strange, strange object
directories (0)registered with the activation context

The GTK 2 applications work fine in a KDE session.  I'd like to be able
to start a GNOME session, as well.  Does anyone have any suggestions as
to how I can resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

--
Michael Morey
Consultant

--------------000208000804060100050707

xmodmap:  up to 2 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d)
mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x71)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4        Super_L (0x73),  Super_R (0x74)
mod5

SESSION_MANAGER=local/turing:/tmp/.ICE-unix/14706

** (gnome-panel:14774): WARNING **: Extremely strange, strange object directories (0)registered with the activation context

** (gnome-panel:14774): WARNING **: FIXME: wait for completion unimplemented

** (nautilus:14776): WARNING **: Extremely strange, strange object directories (0)registered with the activation context

--------------000208000804060100050707--