[Gnome22-user] Some GNOME 2.2 Icons Broken

James Strandboge jstrand1@rochester.rr.com
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:18:02 -0400

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 11:38, Michael G. Morey wrote:
> James Strandboge wrote:

> >>Jamie,
> >>
> >>I reinstalled the package, although "apt-get --reinstall install
> >>gnome-desktop-data" didn't do the trick.  I downloaded the package and
> >>installed it using "dpkg -i gnome-desktop-data."  That "dpkg -S
> >><filename>" will come in handy.  Thanks for the suggestions.
> >>

> >You mentioned you had gnoppix installed before.  Make sure that you have
> >all the gnoppix packages uninstalled.  Try:
> >
> >COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l | grep gnoppix
> >
> >(I did the gnome2.4 gnoppix packages and gave them that extension).
> >
> >If they aren't xfree86 packages, then remove them (use 'dpkg
> >--force-depends --purge' to remove them).  After they are all
> >uninstalled, do 'apt-get -f install'.  This will satisfy any dependency
> >issues.  Logout of gnome and then back in.
> >
> >Also try under a new user.  If it works, it may just be that your old
> >gnoppix (which is gnome2.4) settings are conflicting with the gnome2.2
> >settings.  If that is the case, logout of gnome and do:
> >
> >killall gconfd-2
> >mkdir $HOME/bak
> >mv $HOME/.gnome2 $HOME/bak
> >mv $HOME/.gconfd $HOME/bak
> >mv $HOME/.metacity $HOME/bak
> >mv $HOME/.nautilus $HOME/bak
> >
> >There may be others.  Basically, you want to get rid of all the gnome2.4
> >stuff.
> >
> >Hopefully this will fix it for you.  If not, submit
> >$HOME/.xsession-errors.
> >
> >Jamie
> >

> Jamie,
> Ick!  How can I
> downgrade these to GNOME 2.2 gracefully, without inadvertently "pulling
> the rug out from under" packages which depend on these?

Basically, what I said above.  Log out of gnome and shutdown gdm.  Do
(as root, all on one line):

COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l | grep gnoppix|awk '{print $2}'|xargs -n 1 dpkg
--purge --force-depends

followed by:
apt-get -f install

Note that this is a very broad stroke and you may have some additional
packages that need to be removed.  apt-get -f install may try to remove
more as well, or may complain that it can't install certain packages
because some other package depends on it (if this happens, remove the
package that depends on it with 'dpkg --purge --force-depends').

Good luck!

Jamie

--
Email:        jstrand1@rochester.rr.com