[Gnuk-users] Did I brick my fst-01?

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Sun Feb 8 01:58:09 UTC 2015

I wrote:
> Please note that The pin #2 of ST-Link/V2 is for a detection of MCU's
> Vdd, it's not the source of power to the MCU.
>
> Today, I tried a variant of connection, not connecting pin #2.
> Following is the figure.  Power comes from USB port.  It connects
> three pins between ST-Link/V2 and FST-01, killing the feature of MCU
> Vdd detection.
>
>    CN3 of ST-Link/V2
>                        1 2  [MCU VDD] RED----\
>                        3 4                   |
>                        5 6                   |
>    /--- BLACK [SWD-IO] 7 8                   |
>    |/-- WHITE [SWDCLK] 9 10                  |
>    ||                  ...                   |
>    vv                 19 20 [GND    ] BLUE -----> SWD port of FST-01
>    SWD port of FST-01  ^                     |
>                        | [Vdd]               |
>                        \---------------------/

The diagram is correct.

On 02/08/2015 04:57 AM, micah wrote:
> This diagram shows port 2 ([MCU VDD]) of the ST-Link/V2 connecting to
> port 19 ([VDD]) of the ST-Link/V2. Is that correct? The reason I ask is
> because you said above "not connecting pin #2" and I want to be careful
> be certain without any ambiguity.

I meant, "not connecting pin #2" to FST-01, without saying explicitly
it loops back to the pin #19 of ST-Link/V2 itself.

Pin #19 is the power source from ST-Link/V2.  This means that,
ST-Link/V2 won't detect the MCU Vdd, but the power line of itself.  By
this connection, I cheated ST-Link/V2 and imposed my commands, as I
knew the connection was good.