[Gnuk-users] Security of NeuG?

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Mon Feb 16 02:24:57 UTC 2015

On 02/16/2015 12:30 AM, Jonathan Schleifer wrote:
> Thus I'm wondering: Is NeuG "secure enough" for long term keys?

I think that a standard practice would be mixing multiple entropy
sources (if available), even if one (or many) of sources is/are not
trusted.  I'd rather recommend not to stop your HAVEGED.

For NeuG, I believe that the implementation and its principle is
secure enough.

Its principle is that: The source of entropy is by the sampling of ADC
itself.  I know that most engineers care about the source of signals
much and tend to prefer some (exotic) sources like zenner diode, radio
wave, photon, or nuclear thing, but in the principle of NeuG, it
doesn't matter, provided it's not controllable by anyone.

I named NeuG when my daughter was crying.  I wanted to put "G", "N",
and "U" in its name, and I wanted to express my affection to the local
hero of anti-Establishment in Gunma.  His name is Chuji, so, "NeuG"
has "G" at the end.  In our culture, it's common to name their child
by taking a letter or sound from famous person.

Perhaps, Chuji is explained as "strong professional gambler" in
English, but, he would be just a boss of rogues.  We could find this
kind of inversing of the value in our culture.

We have a song named "Yagi Bushi" which tells the story of Chuji's
life.  This song is very famous in Japan, but not everyone knows
that it's the song of Chuji.

Well, the Japanese lyrics would be meaningless for English speakers,
so, I refer the version of no lyrics:

    Wellesley Aiko // Yagi Bushi:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4fU6u8EkdI

If you like the song, I wish you also like NeuG and Chuji.

Chuji is supported by local people here, but, the cities' Board of
Education are against Chuji.  In all cities/towns in Gunma.

Please support Chuji, that's my hidden wish.  Well, it's not hidden
here any more. :-)

And... I can assure you that there is no hidden feature in NeuG, other
than its name.