[Gnuk-users] Flashing the FST-01 and generating and importing a key in a secure environment

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Mon Feb 16 06:21:33 UTC 2015

In the article you wrote:
> you should not order the FST-01 with the shrink tube, as you cannot
> access the SWD port there!

Yes, I recommend having SWD programmer.

Nevertheless, usually, I recommend to buy the FST-01 with the shrink
tube.  I also call it the "transparent" FST-01, because the tube is
transparent.  I made a version in this way among three, since I felt
it's a kind of manufacturer responsibility to "pack" it (at least for
a version).

It is OK for users to order the "transparent" FST-01, when they can
trust the process of manufacturer of FST-01, or in another condition
like: it were rather harder for them to trust a SWD programmer.

Well, in general, it's a matter of degree from my point of view.

It is not recommended to buy versions of FST-01 other than
"transparent", if you won't flash by yourselves, because it is rather
easier for a middle person to modify its flash ROM maliciously.

For someone, it is better to build her own version of FST-01 by
herself, ordering PCB and parts by herself and assembling it by
herself (or ordering assembling by some hardware company too).

It would be also good to write your own C compiler to build Gnuk
safely, if you really care about that.

When FST-01 will be famous enough, it would be better for another
person to use STM8S Discovery Kit instead of FST-01:

    Discussion at DimSumLabs:
    https://identi.ca/gniibe/comment/88SzKr4USxW-tpwDdAqMqg

Confession:
My math capability is quite limited, even with Japanese abacus.  If I
have enough math skill, I think that I should be able to calculate a
signature by my own hand calculation.  With lack of the skill, I rely
on my FST-01.