[Gnuk-users] Visit Norway to talk about gnuk?

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Fri Aug 28 07:46:02 UTC 2015

On 08/16/2015 04:54 PM, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Are anyone involved in the project interested?  If so, where are you
> located?  NUUG is on a limited budget funded by member fees, but are
> willing to pay reasonable travel and lodging costs to speakers if the
> total isn't too high for us.

It seemed that my reply was to the list only.  Here, I describe
situation a bit more.

The project of Gnuk is an official project of FSIJ (Free Sofware
Initiative of Japan).  Source code of Gnuk is copyrighted by FSIJ.  As
my weekend work, I worked for FSIJ as a book keeper and a chairman of
the board.  Perhaps, FSIJ is similar to your organization.  We have
individual members who pay annual fees (and a small number of
cooperate members which don't have voting rights).

The development is done by me and other contributors.

Initially, Gnuk was intended to be installed onto some boards by its
users.  FSIJ got USB vendor ID, so that FSIJ could allow use of
its vendor ID for individuals' experiment.

Only skilled persons got interest and we realized that those who had
knowledge of privacy + GnuPG + smartcard + USB + embedded were quite
rare.

So, I designed FST-01, the reference board for Gnuk as free hardware
design.  Then, as my own business, I asked manufacturing (and selling)
of the board to Seeed Technology, in Shenzhen, China.

I assign my copyright of Gnuk to FSIJ and I report number of devices
which include FSIJ's software of Gnuk/NeuG annually.  In return, I use
FSIJ's USB vendor ID, as a second source manufacturer of USB device.

FSIJ can pay a part of travel expense of mine.  For example, when I
was invited to join FISL in Brazil in 2012, the flight ticket was
payed by FSIJ, while accommodation/local expense was payed by FISL
(other small expense like travel cost within Japan was payed by me).
When I was invited to join 1st Open Source Hong Kong in 2013, it was
similar.  Flight ticket was payed by FSIJ, while accommodation/local
expense was payed by the organizer.

If something like that would work for NUUG, it would be possible for
me to visit Norway, say, in next summer.  (FSIJ's financial year
starts on June and the annual general meeting for this financial year
was done already.  So, it is better to try next year for the
allocation of budget.)