[Gnuk-users] FST-01 is going to be non-reproducible any more

Yuji IMAI ug at xcast.jp
Tue Jan 12 02:53:21 UTC 2016

# I sent a messy noise mail, please ignore.

Hi, Gniibe. I'm happy to get your opinion.

2016/01/12 9:29, NIIBE Yutaka <gniibe at fsij.org> :

>>> Yes, I found where gniibe mentioned about TEMPEST.
>>> It's in the japanese handbook of of FST-01.
>>> http://no-passwd.net/fst-01-gnuk-handbook/gnuk-token-warnings.html#id1

I read it again and find he just described notes electromagnetic radiation.  There appears no word like TEMPEST nor side channel attack. I may confuse discussion. Accept apologies.

> Secondly, let me explain about an attack like TEMPEST.
>
> I don't think it is likely to do some attack with electromagnetic
> interference from USB device remotely (even for the lack of shield-GND
> connection of FST-01).
>
> A possible scenario would be "Hub in the middle".  An adversely put
> a hub between your computer and FST-01 to monitor USB signals.

In short, We had better making sure "directly" connecting my PC and the Gunk token before worrying about remote inference. Right?

I become feeling peaceful. :)

Yuji