[Gnuk-users] FST-01 is going to be non-reproducible any more

NdK ndk.clanbo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 05:51:22 UTC 2016

Il 12/01/2016 01:29, NIIBE Yutaka ha scritto:

> A possible scenario would be "Hub in the middle".  An adversely put
> a hub between your computer and FST-01 to monitor USB signals.
The most probable scenario is some malaware/rootkit that gives attacker
access to the machine. That's a game-over: keys are not compromised, but
every accessed message/file is then compromised. Moreover, knowing your
PIN the adversary can decrypt other messages/files w/o you knowing
(unless there's out of band user-consent).

If your profile is "high enough" for an HW attack, then a whole
different level of paranoia is needed and you're completely right: the
more "personalization" (like your wonderful "enclosures" from various
materials) you do, the less probable something gets swapped out w/o you
noticing. But if something DOES disappear (even if just for some hours,
like "maybe it slipped out of my pocket in office?") then you can't
trust it any more unless you re-initialize it completely: fw protection
can't be trusted much... see what happened many times to PICs.

BYtE,
 Diego