[Gnuk-users] Improving the reproducibility and transparency

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Fri Jan 29 01:41:18 UTC 2016

Let me clarify some things.

(1) FST-01 is discontinued?  No!

I don't say that I won't ask manufacturing another lot of FST-01.  If
enough demands, I'll do.  We still have the chip of regulator in the
market.

Now, I think that we still have more than 350 FST-01 in the world
(roughly, 50 in US, 100 in Japan, and 200 in China).  So, the
availability of FST-01 doesn't matter in 2016.

(2) Improvement of manufacturing process to be free software friendly

The major purpose of Gnuk Token is to contol our own computing for
crypto by separate device.

My point is that, we even need (and be able) to contribute the
improvement of the culture around manufacturing to achieve our goal of
better control of our computing.

Currently, Windows XP is common and someone could say that it is no
longer controled by Microsoft, but I don't want to encourage use of
Windows XP in the manufacturing.

Given the situation Seeed Studio does manufacturing and selling BBG
now, I think that it is good opportunity for us to ask them
introducing (more) Free Software into their own manufacturing.

I know that BBG or BBB is not perfect from the viewpoint of free
computing (but better han RPI).  I think that its use is acceptable
for us, when we don't use any (proprietary) GPU.

(3) Slow computing

Getting older (and having many elderly people in my town), I feel that
it is not necessarily bad thing.

While I love the fast food of Yoshinoya, I somehow declare the concept
of "slow computing" to lower the risk of security attacks, or better
control of our computing in general.

This is major reason to go with Cortex-M0+ (from Cortex-M3).

I don't see any new chip with Cortex-M3 (but Cortex-M0+ and Cortex-M4).
It seems that it's the culture of MCU industry.