[Gnuk-users] Portable .gnupg

Erik Adler erik.adler at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 03:24:05 UTC 2017

On 02/20/2017 01:40 AM, NIIBE Yutaka wrote:
> Erik Adler <erik.adler at gmail.com> wrote:
>> At FOSDEM 2013 it was mentioned that there would possibly be future work
>> on a storing .gnupg with its WoT and public keyring on the token. Or
>> course with 128kb of storage that would be “problematic”. Has there been
>> any thought about maybe using a microcontroller that has more storage
>> space for .gnupg and is better suited for RSA-4096?
>
> I think that it was FOSDEM 2012.  Five years ago.
>
> Gnuk development hasn't proceeded that way (supporting portable .gnupg).
> It keeps its features for management of private keys only.
>
> Although FST-01 have an external 4M-bit storage, no one hasn't tried to
> use that.
>
> On FST-01G (currently being manufactured), I removed the storage.
>
> In Gnuk 1.2.3, RSA-4096 is supported, but it's not real use in general,
> since it takes long time (>= 8sec).  Now, modern ECC (Ed25519/X25519) is
> recommended for Gnuk 1.2.3.
>
> For my own use cases, I don't need portable-.gnupg so much.  I always
> use my own computers.

A few days ago I took your KiCad PCB and had 15 made. Yes I removed your
TM logo like you asked =) This is just for some friends and myself. It
seems the SPI is end of life but there is a new one.
http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/ProductCompare/SST25VF032B/SST26VF032B
Would this one work? Of course 4MB is very small. My Debian keyring is
at least 10x that size. Is there a SPI that will fit the FST-01G PCB
that is maybe bigger then 4M? This is mostly to experiment with.

All the best
Erik