[Gnuk-users] Using enable-hid-card-change

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Wed Nov 8 00:04:58 UTC 2017

Mike M <mikem at linux.com> wrote:
> Could someone point me to documentation, or type me up a brief example, on how
> to use the `--enable-hid-card-change` feature?

Perhaps, it is not that useful.  I don't use the feature.  Even I don't
know if it works now.

My intention was controlling the token with no additional hardware, with
no additional software development.  It enables to ask the token
"removing the (virtual) card" and "inserting the (virtual) card".  I had
an idea to use this feature selecting a card among multiple cards (when
we will implement multiple cards support), but it has not achieved.

With --enable-hid-card-change, Gnuk has HID interface as well as CCID
interface.  The HID interface works as a keypad with LED.  It works as a
passive device to receive LED status change.  The macro
HID_LED_STATUS_CARDCHANGE defines which LED-change asks card
removal/insertion.  Default is ScrollLock LED.

When "ScrollLock" LED is set/unset (for example, by xset command), it is
interpreted as a message of card removal/insertion.