[gopher] Gopher-powered Hangman game!

Nuno J. Silva nunojsilva at ist.utl.pt
Tue Nov 24 18:32:42 UTC 2009

Kacper Gutowski <mwgamera at gmail.com> writes:
[...]
> Cons:
> 1. Text written in script other than Latin or with accented letters will
>    appear as garbage in a client that either excepts plain ASCII or Latin 1.
>   - UMN Gopher client expects Latin 1 both in directory and in text
>   - lynx does some strange things [2]
>   - Firefox (without overbite) does some strange things [2] with directory
>     but displays text as usual (heuristically guessing the encoding or
>     letting user choose it manually)
[...]
> [2] Looks like UTF-8 encoding is accepted but only characters present in
>     ISO Latin 1 set are displayed correctly?

lynx has an "Assumed document character set" setting, and my experience
is that it is set to iso-8859-1 by default. And you can't save this
setting to the configuration file. But it seems lynx will take it as an
argument: "-assume_charset=MIMEname".

Changing this renders utf8 text gopher resources as expected.

--
Nuno J. Silva