[gopher] Ending type 0 transmissions with a dot or not?

Kim Holviala kim at holviala.com
Thu Apr 1 06:26:11 UTC 2010

Just wondering... These are from the gopher RFC:

---
The server responds with a block of text terminated by a
period on a line by itself and closes the connection.

Note:  Lines beginning with periods must be prepended with an extra
      period to ensure that the transmission is not terminated early.
      The client should strip extra periods at the beginning of the line.
---

It seems that pygopherd doesn't terminate with a dot but bucktooth does,
and so far I haven't found a client which would do both of the above.
Firefox shows all the dots in the world, Overbite ends with a dot but
doesn't follow the second rule and even UMN gopher shows me double-dots...

I was going to implement the Gophernicus Server as per the spec... but
now I'm not so sure. Adding the dot breaks a lot of things like
downloading the patches I talked about yesterday... but not adding the
dot is against the spec :-/.

Opinions?

- Kim